About Me

My photo
Hi. I am a BLM student at CQ University. The purpose of this blog is to record my ideas and discoveries as I play with new technological tools that may be used in the classroom.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Learning styles quiz

My task at University this term is to test different digital tools that can be used in the classroom to enhance learning. The idea is that, by including technology effectively into lessons, all students, with varying learning styles and experiences, can be better catered for more effectively than when traditional teaching methods are employed.

I continue to be in two minds about technology in the classroom. Just because the students are more technology savvy these days, and prefer playing computer games than reading a book, does that mean we should continue to encourage their tendencies, or is it our job as teachers to give them a taste of the 'traditional' (books, paper and pen, sedning letters in the post etc) to balance their technology-saturated lives? I am still unsure where I sit on this issue. Does technology really 'enhance' the learning environment?

Well, this is the question I will endeavor to answer during this course.

But before I begin poking, prodding and critiquing as many available technologies for the classroom as I can, I must start by looking at myself. Who am I, as a learner? How do I best work? 

I pop onto a learning styles website (www.learning-styles-online.com) to find out more...



The results are pretty much as I expected. Above all, I am a social person who prefers to work in groups. I have equally strong preferences for learning visually (pictures, images, spatial awareness), physically (using body and sense of touch), aurally (using sound and music) and logically (using logic and reasoning processes). I learn least effectively when learning is verbal (using words) and solitary (working alone).

No comments:

Post a Comment