About Me

My photo
Hi. I am a BLM student at CQ University. The purpose of this blog is to record my ideas and discoveries as I play with new technological tools that may be used in the classroom.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

iMovie & Youtube


I used iMovie (a Mac programme) to make a movie about my journey in the Arts. This was a very time consuming process but using the programme I was able to express my ideas in a creative way, combining images, text and audio. The types of effects were also able to communicate the ideas behind this project, which was a very reflective journey.

When I had finished this film, which was the first one I had ever made, I was very proud and wanted to show my parents. Unfortunately, my parents live in Adelaide and the file was too large to send in an email. I decided to post it onto Youtube, which was really easy to use and upload to.

iMovie
Plus - encourages creativity, can incorporate still or moving images as well as text and audio, engaging way to present information, easy to 'drop' images and audio in.
Minus - takes lots of time which could demotivate, constant access to computers is needed.
Interesting - students would need briefing on copyright laws for images and songs, movie can be incorporated into other applications such as power points.

Youtube
Plus - ability to share with others which would be good for long distance education
Minus - public access to the videos means certain videos might not be appropriate
Interesting - Comments from a wide range of people

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aly,
    It was really cool seeing your journey with the arts. I agree that programs like imovie and windows moviemaker are great benefits in the classroom. Students could even create something similar to what you made. That would be a great learning task for them... to reflect back on their journey so far.
    What a great idea to post it on YouTube for your parents to see. That's one of the benefits of YouTube: you don't waste time or space trying to send movie files to all your friends. You can simply upload it to the web for everyone to watch whenever they want.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these great digital tools.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Jess.

    Yes, movies are a great platform for students to reflect on their journey. I found that through making this movie I had to use higher order thinking as well as creativity when I chose the 'look' I wanted to create, and the images and text I would use to express my ideas. It really does encourage students to find their own voice and express themselves as individuals -a great way of promoting diversity amongst the cohort.

    Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete